Ambulatory Care – Self Reflection

I was surprised to find urgent care to be one of my favorite rotation sites. I believe this was largely due to the fact that a good portion of providers were recent York grads. For this reason, they were able to provide a great learning environment for students to learn hands on. The urgent care also had an incredible patient volume that allowed me to see a variety of patients ranging from immunizations to stitches to congestive heart failure. Furthermore, this site encouraged students to write-up the electronic medical records for patients examined. In doing so, I practiced a realistic routine and expecation of a PA. Although patient care remains the top priority, a majority of our work remains in documenting patient visits. The urgent care allowed me to hone my skills in the interview, physical exam, and documentation of HPI and billing. Urgent care also stood out from my previous rotation sites in that it provided acute rather than long term care. Its intention is treat patients quickly so they do not need to wait in the emergency room and or setup an appointment far into the future for a refill. The downside is that patient’s conditions cannot be managed overtime and we must trust that the patient takes our recommendations in self-care and PCP follow-ups. Overall, the urgent care created a fast-paced and hands-on environment that was excellent for allowing students to practice as if they were the real provider.